Kris Schneider - "BotBoy"
Back to Member Index |
Back to Robot Index
Kris Schneider - Delano, MN
Web Site: www.usfamily.net/web/botboy60/index.htm
Type: 4 legged walker
- Purpose: Pre-school pants wetter, cool looking robot at Twin
Cities Robotics meetings.
- Controller: My desktop or my ancient Zenith laptop via RS232, soon
to be a BotBoard (www.rdrop.com/users/marvin)
when I get the gait mastered.
- Software Development Environment/Methods: I use the Lynxmotion software
to position servos, but I am working on a BASIC program for walking.
- Sensors: None yet, but I want to add foot sensors and a video camera
(just to see the robots point of view) and IR prox. sensors.
- Actuators: Legs(4) with assorted servos
- Height, width, length: About 1.5 ft tall when standing, 2 ft wide,
- Weight: ~10 pounds, batteries installed
- Power source: 4 AA's and a nine volt, but I intend to upgrade the
AA's to regulated RC car packs.
- Speed: Will be slow. when I get it done. I want to be able to catch
Brain: Scott Edwards Mini SSC Ver2. (
www.seetron.com/ssc.htm ) I got it from www.lynxmotion.com.
Frame:1/4" and 5/16" solid bar stock, welded using wire feed welder
Joints: 5/16ths nuts/bolts
Contruction history: I saw someones 6 legged bot at the may 1998
meeting. I liked the design approach, but I only had enough servos to make
4 legs. So I started off by selecting some bar stock to build the frame.
I used some woodshop angle holders to hold the frame together and started
welding. By June 15th, I had the frame and the front legs finished. The
rear legs were just 1 angle stock piece for holding the nuts (bearings)
on. By June I had the rear legs done, but realized the problem of balance
with only .25" x .25" footpads. So I welded on 6 inch long pads perpendicular
to the legs. I coated them with liquid under coating, a mistake I will
never make again. The crap flaked off and stained everything AFTER it was
dry. Now I am trying to calibrate the servos and write up a walking program.
- Status: Mechanically done, but still has electronics and programming
to be done [Update - dissasembled heap in parts bin. parts from v1.o
will help build "gregori", version two (you'll see it on jeff's site